1. What are the advantages of RoamSave over traditional roaming voice services when overseas?
A: RoamSave is a roaming voice service, based on Wi-Fi connectivity, offers FREE voice call minutes for making outgoing calls to any Hong Kong number and receiving incoming calls from anywhere in the world.
Now, RoamSave service provides free video calls within the RoamSave community.
2. Do I have to apply for a new number in order to use RoamSave?
A: No. You can use your existing PCCW-HKT mobile service’s number for making/receiving calls, regardless of whether the distant end person is using a fixed-line or mobile service provider in Hong Kong or overseas.
3. Do I, or the people I call, or who call me, need to install an application?
A: For voice call, you will need to download our RoamSave application in order to use the service but the people you call, or who call you, do not.
For video call, both you and the called party will need to download our RoamSave application in order to use the service.
4. Will I be charged for roaming or local mobile data connectivity?
A: No. RoamSave is connected only by Wi-Fi.
5. Will I be charged normal local airtime using RoamSave?
A: Only if you make an IDD call via RoamSave.
6. Will I be able to receive RoamSave calls when I surf the Internet?
7. Can I make emergency calls overseas?
A: The 傾King service may be used to make emergency calls in Hong Kong. However, you should call local emergency number via your regular voice roaming service while you are abroad.
8. How do I make an outgoing call via RoamSave to destinations outside Hong Kong?
A: It is just like making an IDD call while in Hong Kong, which means “+” and country code (eg 44 for the UK) need to be entered before the contact number.
9. I don’t have an IDD account, so how do I call destinations outside Hong Kong?
A: Applying for IDD is free of charge. You can call the 24-hour PCCW Consumer Service Hotline 1000 to register.
10. How will I be notified that all incoming voice/video calls are being connected via RoamSave?
A: Voice call: When RoamSave app is being connected, the incoming call display will show the RoamSave service name as well as the RoamSave service icon.
Video call: When RoamSave app is being connected, the incoming call display will show the RoamSave service name with green video call icon.
1. Is caller display available to RoamSave?
A: Yes. The same caller ID/picture saved in your handset’s phonebook will appear for all RoamSave calls.
2. Will my Secretarial Service work for RoamSave calls?
A: It will not work when your RoamSave application is on and connected. Once the RoamSave application is disconnected, Secretarial Service will resume automatically.
3. Is call waiting available with RoamSave?
A: It is not. It does not work with RoamSave. If you are already engaged on a call, the other caller will be redirected to voicemail.
4. Can I use conditional call-forwarding (ie **67*/ **61*/**62*) for RoamSave calls, instead of voicemail?
A: No. You can only use unconditional call-forwarding (ie **21*) for RoamSave calls.
5. Does multi-party call conferencing work on RoamSave?
A: No. Only a regular voice call will support multi-party call conferencing.
6. Will Connecting Tone/ Hong Kong connecting tones work with RoamSave?
7. Can I customize the RoamSave ringtone?
A: You cannot. A RoamSave call will use the ringtone set in your handset for a normal voice call.
8. Can I make Infoline 900 or calls started with * or #?
1. Does RoamSave work in flight mode?
A: No. You must turn off flight mode to use RoamSave.
2. Will RoamSave work if I am outside mobile network coverage?
A: RoamSave is connected only by Wi-Fi, so mobile network connectivity is not necessary.
3. Will RoamSave work with a home or hotel’s free Wi-Fi service?
A: Yes RoamSave basically works with any Wi-Fi connectivity, regardless of whether it is a free service provided by a hotel or a router in someone’s home (note: PCCW-HKT mobile service cannot guarantee RoamSave service performance nor voice call quality at every single Wi-Fi hotspot).
4. Why does the RoamSave icon disappear from the status bar?
A: This represents weak or no Wi-Fi connectivity. If this occurs, move to an area with better Wi-Fi coverage and remain there until you finish your call.
5. Why is RoamSave call quality poor for some calls?
A: This could be caused by weak Wi-Fi connectivity. Please move to an area with better Wi-Fi coverage and remain there before you finish your call.
6. Will RoamSave work with touch-tone services, such as phone-banking and IVRS?
7. When I am on a RoamSave call, will the call be disconnected if I leave Wi-Fi coverage?
A: Yes, the call will drop because the Wi-Fi connection will be lost and the RoamSave application will be disconnected. You are recommended to stay within the coverage area until you finish your call.
8. Will my RoamSave application be re-connected to Wi-Fi automatically when I return to an area with Wi-Fi coverage?
A: No. You will need to connect your RoamSave application to Wi-Fi manually (please refer to User Guide Q1). Until you reconnect RoamSave, you will be able to receive calls via regular voice service.
9. Why can’t I connect to RoamSave when my handset detects Wi-Fi?
A: The Wi-Fi signal only shows that you are within hotspot coverage, but you may need to login to the Wi-Fi network before proceeding to RoamSave (note: PCCW-HKT mobile service cannot guarantee RoamSave service performance nor call quality at every single Wi-Fi hotspot).
10. Why is RoamSave call quality better on a headset than when I hold the handset in my hand?
A: Some handsets are intelligent enough to turn off the screen automatically when it detects a human face in order to avoid buttons being touched by accident. However, the turn-off screen mode will also switch Wi-Fi connection to power save mode automatically, thereby making call quality unstable or even poor because of a weak connection.
You can edit the turn-off screen mode using the RoamSave application:
Go to “More” and tick “Keep Screen On”.
11. Why can’t I use my Bluetooth headset with RoamSave?
A: RoamSave does not support a Bluetooth headset, but you can use an ordinary wired headset with RoamSave.
12. Why can’t I receive a call when my handset screen switches to standby mode (ie when the handset screen is off)?
A: Some handsets may turn off the Wi-Fi connection in standby mode, thereby disconnecting RoamSave.
You can edit the standby mode in your handset’s settings listed as below:
Settings > Applications > Development > Stay awake
(note: You need to connect your handset with a power cord)
13. Why can’t I receive incoming calls when I can make outgoing RoamSave calls?
A: Please check that you have enabled an unconditional call-forwarding function (**21*). If you have, then please disable it (##21#) before re-starting the RoamSave application by pressing the on/off button once.
14. Why can’t I make outgoing RoamSave calls when I can receive incoming RoamSave calls?
A: Please check whether the outgoing voice function of your account has been barred. You may want to contact the 24-hour PCCW Consumer Service Hotline 1000 for more details.
15. I am a Pocket Wi-Fi user, so can I use RoamSave?
16. I am a 1SIM2Number subscriber, so can I use RoamSave?
A: Yes. Please note the following:
Caller display will show your Hong Kong mobile number only when you make an outgoing call with the RoamSave application, even if you are inside China Unicom’s network coverage.
You are required to pay an “Outside Region Connection Fee” of $1/minute to receive calls via the secondary number (ie China Unicom mobile number) in addition to the standard RoamSave service charge, and the charge is applicable to all destinations.
17. Why I can make outgoing RoamSave voice calls but can't make outgoing RoamSave video calls?
A: Please check whether your RoamSave app version supports to make RoamSave video call (updated version: 4.2.0). You may want to contact the 24-hour PCCW Consumer Service Hotline 1000 for more details.